North QLD (NQ) and Far North QLD (FNQ) in the last decade has made significant strides to becoming a viable location for local and international filmmakers to produce their films. In recent years significant investment from the Queensland Government has enabled Hollywood blockbuster films to use FNQ as their backdrop.
Currently the Screen and Media industry in NQ and FNQ has a significant shortage of local film crew for a wide range of departments. Therefore, attention to developing the pipeline from High School to the Screen Industry workforce in this specific region is imperative.
Future Filmmakers Camp is an opportunity for Senior Secondary High School students to receive a head start in their film career in the Screen and Media industry. Students from North and Far North Queensland will have the opportunity to engage in an intensive film camp. The camp will include immersive filmmaking experiences to develop technical skills, production skills and mastery of storytelling in a range of genres from music video, documentary to short film.
This initiative will establish strong relationships between students, schools, tertiary training institutions and local industry to develop and retain talent.
Camp location: Cairns, Far North QLD
Cost: Accommodation, main meals and travel during the camp will be covered by Essential Screen Skills. Participants will need to make travel arrangements to and from Cairns. A travel grant is available for those experiencing financial hardship – please indicate this in your application.
This School to Work Transition project is funded by the Queensland Government as part of the Good people. Good jobs. Queensland Workforce Strategy 2022-2032 in association with Essential Screen Skills.
Applications close Sunday 13th August, 11:59pm
|August||Applications, selection and offers|
|September||Onboarding and zoom preparation sessions|
|Monday 25th September – |
Sunday 1st October
|Future Filmmaker’s Camp including Rough Cut |
screening of films
|November||Post-camp survey and follow up|
- This project is an exclusive opportunity for Year 11&12 students who reside and are enrolled in a North/Far North QLD High School.
- Places are reserved for Screen and Media Gateway Schools (Heatley State Secondary College, Ryan Catholic College and Cairns State High School).
- Places are available for students residing and studying at North QLD and Far North QLD High Schools.
- There are a total of 20 places for students and 4 places for teachers/school staff.
- Students from underrepresented groups such as First Nations (Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander) Cultural and Linguistically Diverse, LGBTQIA+, Students with Disabilities, Low Socio-Economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Selection of participants is at the discretion of Essential Screen Skills and Future Filmmakers Camp selection panel.
Please read our File Management Guidelines for Program Application to ensure your application conforms to our titling and formatting guidelines.
Download the forms here: